Friday, January 21, 2011

1981 Gibson Victory Artist - restored!

Some of you may remember the bass I bought back in June - a Gibson Victory Artist.  Anyone paying attention will remember the awful cosmetic state it was in, but in case you need reminding, here are a couple of pics:



Well, on Wednesday I got it back from my good friend Rich who had performed his magic on the body and neck.  Please excuse the large burp of pics but all I can say is wow:


Hats off to Rich, he really has done an amazing job.  At the moment the bass is sitting on its own stand while the lacquer hardens some more and some neck adjustments settle down.  It sounds amazing, and now it looks amazing too.  The only down side to this bass is the weight - that all maple construction makes for a very heavy instrument.  To combat this I am waiting for a special strap to arrive which I hope will stop it from destroying my shoulder/back.

2 comments:

  1. How much does it weigh? It is Super Sweet! I have played a Victory Artist since I bought it new in !981 and I Love It, all I can say is you gotta stay strong and in good shape (work out) to play it for hours on end. I am always very careful when handing it to someone to "check out" which alot of bassists want to because they have never seen one. They almost never are prepared for the weight of the instrument and they do not want to hold or play it for too long (thats fine with me). You have a Real Treasure! Play on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, it's pretty heavy, at least 12lb I suspect. I use a Neotech strap which helps mitigate the weight by at least being well balanced. I play in originals bands rather than covers so single 45 mins or so sets are the norm rather than the playing for hours that covers bands tend to do so that helps also :) This bass is my go-to one for recording as well, it just sounds super smooth. Good to talk to a fellow Victory owner, they're great basses :)

      Delete