Monday, January 17, 2011

Another nail in Windows' coffin

I picked up a very cheap laptop a few months ago (a bit bashed, no battery or charger), but to cut a long story short I had a reasonable 2GB Intel Core Solo laptop up and running for about £50.  I decided to install Ubuntu on it and have a good go at it.

I used to dabble in Linux many years ago (usually Slackware) but always got frustrated with the software availability and the amount of time it took to fix something I broke if I was tinkering.  Things have changed since then - Ubuntu 10.10 is a very polished environment with good package management and both hardware support and software availability has improved greatly.

There are only a couple of things which prevent me from going to Ubuntu permanently.  One is the proprietary Windows based CCTV software which I need to keep for the installations I monitor.  The other main bugbear was Spotify.

I love Spotify - I don't mind ads and it's great for discovering new and old music alike.  Need to practice a set of tunes for a band - just queue them up.  Unfortunately a native Linux Spotify is only available to subscribers because they haven't found a way of delivering the ads yet.  However, I was surprised and pleased to read last night that Windows Spotify will work quite happily under WINE.  Bonus!  I gave it a go and apart from a bit of experimenting with audio settings (and having to go against the advice I found online) I got it working.  Sweet!

Now all I need is for the antiquated CCTV systems I referred to above to be replaced then it's bye bye Windows!

No comments:

Post a Comment